WHY BE BAPTIZED?
- Because you want to follow Jesus’ example.
“At that time Jesus came from Nazareth and was baptized by John in the river.” Mark 1:9
- Because Christ commanded it.
“Jesus said, “Go then, to all people everywhere and make them my disciples, baptize them in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit, and then teach them to obey everything I have commanded you.” Matthew 28:19-20
- Because it shows you are a believer.
“...Many of the Corinthians who heard him believed and were baptized.” Acts 18:8
- Because obeying Christ’s command shows you know Him.
"We know that we have come to know Him, if we obey his commands.” John 2:3
WHAT IS THE MEANING OF BAPTISM?
- It is a symbol of Christ’s burial and resurrection.
"Christ died for our sins...he was buried...and he rose again.” 1 Cor. 5:3,4
“For when you were baptized, you were buried with Christ, and in baptism you were also raised with Christ.” Col 2:12
- It is a symbol of your new life as a Christian.
“When someone becomes a Christian he becomes a brand new person inside. The old life has passed away and a new life has begun!” 2 Cor 5:17
“By our baptism then we were buried with Him and shared His death, in order that just as Christ was raised from the dead also we might live a new life!” Romans 6:4
- Baptism does not make you a believer, it shows that you already are one! Baptism does not “save” you, only your faith in Christ does that. Baptism is like a wedding ring -- it’s the outward symbol of the commitment you made in your heart.
“For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith...it is the gift of God -- not by works, so that no one can boast.” Eph. 2:8-9